Just in time for spring, this smoothie is refreshing, crisp, and minty good! Stinging nettle is one of those herbs that is viewed as a nuisance in the wild due to its sting that seems to linger in the skin whenever you get stung by it! Although it may be annoying, this is just the plants natural defense against herbivores and people like, well, ME! Just make sure to wear gloves and long sleeves and pants when handling. After you wash them off and blend them, you don’t have to worry about them stinging your mouth! You can often find them in rich, moist soils in the woods or along woodland edges, and they can also be abundant in floodplains.
Stinging nettle is a powerhouse of health benefits! It contains vitamins A, C, and K, and it contains high amounts of iron, potassium, and silica. Just one cup gives you 3 times the amount of vitamin A and K you need in a day. You will also be amazed by the calcium content in this plant! One cup can contain 33 – 43% of the daily recommended amount of calcium! That’s amazing!
Health benefits of stinging nettle:
- Prevents uric acid build-up in joints, making it an effective remedy for gout and rheumatoid arthritis
- High iron content helps with anemia and fatigue
- Stimulates the kidneys to help eliminate waste build-up in the body
- Contains antihistamine properties which aids in relief from allergies
- Bitter taste aids in digestion
- Helps balance blood sugar levels
With so many health benefits, what’s not to love???